Monday, July 20, 2009

Delayed, but moving forward


I finally started in on the face of the beast today, as I picked up a storyboarding gig I had to work on Saturday. His mouth is turning out pretty good. Some purple madder, cadmium red, with a little cadmium yellow for highlights and ultramarine blue for shadows. More cadmium red and less purple madder on the tongue to keep it standing out from the gums a bit. Now I'm moving on to his body. I need to put more darks on him and more reds to help him pop out from the background. And if you notice, I lightened up the mountains on his left as they were getting too much shadow and I was losing the round feeling of the cliffs. I may need to lighten up the background, but first I'm going to see how much contrast I can get into the foreground characters. If once I've finished the characters, the background feels like it's competing, then I'll go back and lift some colors off.

I still need a couple more nights of solid work on this thing, but I'm out of time, so it looks like this thing is going to come with me to San Diego unfinished. I'm planning on bringing down all my watercolor gear, so I may just finish it at my booth. I'm going to be there for five days, for crying out loud, and I might as well do something with my time. I just need to make sure I've got everything I need. Paints, brushes, rags, water jar, reference photos, and scratch paper.

Tomorrow I'm picking up my "Wanderings" books, and I have my last day of work. I'll be getting together everything I need tomorrow night so I can head out first thing Tuesday morning. I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you can see the underlying bone structure in the gums. Well done. I bet it gives a nasty bite!

    ReplyDelete