Thursday, May 28, 2009

Italian Street Painting Festival sketch

Somehow I missed the signup again for the Italian Street Painting again this year, so I had to quickly sign up, and get a concept together for this year's piece. I chose to do something from Xiola. I sketched out a few ideas, but ultimately chose this one here because it tells a little story and is not as edgy as the other two. Sponsors prefer to have their artists do pretty pieces.

In this painting, my main character, Eleya is standing in a tower, recovering from a battle. She is overlooking the Sidian city, a series of cave dwellings within the rock formations of the desert. A young man named Kodo is attempting to climb up to her tower and return her mother's necklace to her as she lost it in the fight.

I did this painting fairly quickly in Photoshop as I needed to finish an image tonight to send in tomorrow. The main concept is working, but I will probably do a little adjusting with the perspective and layout when I put it on the street.


This idea was when I was still trying to do an image of Eleya in her fight with the beast. I originally wanted to do my cover image, but there's no way that's appropriate for the festival. Giant monster with scary teeth fighting a girl. So I tried changing up the angle a bit. But it's still a big scary monster attacking a girl.


This is one of my other ideas. Kodo, the honey collector of the eastern reaches, is jumping out away from the cliff face as a cave beast pokes its head out from its den. there are a bunch of large bee hives attached to the cliff. the one above the cave is broken as Kodo was halfway through cutting away the honey when the beast popped out. This image would be fun in that it's a low perspective, it's action, there would be a column of smoke, and bees throughout the painting. I just felt it was borderline unacceptable because of the beast, and it didn't have my main character in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment