Friday, May 8, 2009

Xiola#1 cover sketch


Here's my idea for the cover to my first issue of Xiola. I had wanted the cover to be eyecatching and cool. I was thinking of having the cover be of Robel, or Kodo, but decided I'd better make it obvious who the main character is right away, so I knew Eleya had to be on there.

Then it came down to, should I do a painting of her dance before the beast arrives, as that's the focus of the first issue, or do I show the beast in there as well. The first issue does end with the beast charging her, but don't start the fight until issue #2.

I ended up thinking a fight shot was probably the best way to go. I want to have something really cool to print up for the San Diego con in July, so if I can get the cover of the first issue printed up as a poster or some type of promotional material I can hand it out and get a buzz going. People like big monsters and hot chicks.

I am going to watercolor it, as I did with my Wanderings cover. The background will be a little soft focus. Her father will be standing on the dais over her shoulder on the left, and the arena is behind them full of people. The arena is built within a huge rock formation, so that is the top of the jagged peaks above them.

Let me know what you think. To me, it's a little flat, but I like the concept. I'll probably push the camera in a bit so I get more foreshortening on the characters. I'm digesting it right now, but I'm leaning towards it.

No comments:

Post a Comment