Thursday, January 29, 2009

"Wanderings" cover is almost finished


The cover is almost finished. I stayed up until 1:45 and still have a bit more to go. I haven't finished the cars on the left, or any of the cars for that matter. I want to have darker shadows overall, but definitely sharp, small shadows on the left hand buildings in the window frames and along edges so the contrast kicks. The sun is supposed to be beating down on the left side causing the long shadows. I will need to darken up the shadows on the right side as well to compensate. Then I've just got to paint the Sutro tower and do another pass on the sky. Last but not least I'll do another dark shadow/outline/detail pass on the main character. I need at least tomorrow night, and maybe through Friday. Good thing I don't have to work OT at work this weekend.

I'm thinking one of my inside cover pages will have a collage of the photos I shot for reference as well as a short write up on what San Francisco means to me. The back page will have a link to this blog and some kind of ad for my upcoming Xiola comic.

I've also got to letter the book. Thanks to Morgan Loomis and my cousin Daniel Elder on comic font help. I think I got what I needed from dafont.com. I'm planning on having an inner monologue going on the entire time as the main character talks to himself. There is only a small bit of spoken dialog, the rest will be in his head. The words will not be necessarily about what he is seeing. I've always liked it when you allow the panels to speak for themselves, and use the words to talk about something else. When done well, it reads like poetry.

1 comment:

  1. Glad I could help! It's been a while, so I'm going through all the other posts now. I love this, and will follow more closely now.

    ReplyDelete