Thursday, October 8, 2009

Page 2 painting coming along


I stretched my watercolor paper out on an art board. Check out how warped the board is because of the paper tightening. I really ought to get a real watercolor board, but I hate the idea of paying $40 for a piece of wood. I think I'm going to hit up OSH and see if I can buy a piece of wood for cheaper. Or maybe I can use an old ikea desk top from work.

I am choosing to use 1 palette for the book so that the entire book will have a similar feel. But I do feel limited at times. I mean, I'm basically painting a book where most backgrounds are going to be variations on browns, with people with browns and their clothes which are shades of brown. I'm putting some color here and there, but I sure seem to use a lot of Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, and Cadmium Yellow. I throw in a little Cadmium Red and Sap Green here and there, and use Cerulean Blue and Ultramarine Blue for shadows and to darken my browns. I've got a Purple Madder for the smoke and I keep Sepia on my palette whenever I want a real dark something, but I use it sparingly as it kills all the color beneath it.

I'm going to try and finish this page by the weekend, and get the next page penciled so I can start painting it while at APE on the 17th and 18th.

No comments:

Post a Comment