Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Page 2 complete


I painted page 2 at APE, but was too tired to finish it up Sunday night, so I sat down with it Monday night and gave it a good lookover. There were many pencil lines still showing through and I hadn't really darkened many areas, so I went through and did a tightening up pass. I went over all the pencil lines with a darker color of whatever object I was painting. Dark reddish brown on the skin (burnt sienna and cadmium red), and a more wheat brown on the robes (burnt sienna and yellow ochre). I think the whole thing looks much more cohesive now. I found a new dark brown by mixing sap green with burnt sienna. It gives a nice rich brown that isn't too red. I used it on the boy's cloth that cross his chest.

It's pretty late, so I won't cut the painting off the board tonight. One last glance at it tomorrow woth fresh eyes, then I'm on to penciling the next page.

2 comments:

  1. The detail on the old mans face is incredible to me, it was also really awesome to see you working on it.

    Also, I asked Rafael Navarro if he had time to explore, and he said he was very busy, so since he couldn't come to you I gave him your business card. :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the compliment and that you took the time to stop by and chat at APE. And thanks for dropping my card off with Raphael. Perhaps I'll meet him at Wondercon.

    ReplyDelete