Thursday, October 15, 2009

APE approacheth!

Well, I have been frantically trying to get some stuff together for APE this weekend. I am in the process of getting some prints made up of my cover art, but can't get a good photo to print from. I need to take a photo during the day so I get good lighting, but I leave for work while it's still dark out, and I get home after sundown. Perhaps it'll be clear enough and bright enough tomorrow morning before I leave for work to take a good shot. Then I can send it to my printer and get the prints made by Friday.

I'm also trying to design my booth. I'd like to get an Uncommon Comics sign made, and create some way fo displaying it. Perhaps with PVC piping I can build some sort of stand. I just don't want it to look shoddy. And I'd like to display some of my original artwork, but don't really know how that would work. Should I frame them? They are weird sizes that would need custom frames, so that's out of the question as I don't have enough time. I need to make a stand of some kind for the posters. Probably out of gator or cardboard. I really ought to have started my booth planning much earlier. I think of myself as a doer, but I'm also a planner, and like to do things the right way... which takes a while.

So here's what I've got planned for my booth. I'll be selling Wanderings books for $1 a pop, just like at Comic Con. I will have a bunch of business cards to give away. I'll have a notebook of Xiola sketches for people to look through. I'll have original artwork posted up somehow. I'd like to have prints of both my Wanderings, and Xiola cover available. I may just print up 10 of each and sell them for $5 and see how that goes. But what size do I print them at? 12x16? Smething smaller? Argh! So many variables. I can't find anywhere to buy mylar bags except online, which would have to be overnighted, so I may go without.

I have always been more used to working with others and didn't realize how much I relied on other people's input. When I'm left on my own I've got a lot of self doubt. Somehow or other, though, I'll have a booth at APE, then Wondercon and so on until I have a system to the madness. Once I've got a system, I'm cool. I like to be organized and efficient. I may just say f-it and go the simple route, just like I did at Comic Con. I'll just hang at my table selling Wanderings, and promoting Xiola. I need to make a decision.

I also need some sleep.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment