Monday, June 15, 2009

Street Painting


I participated in the Italian Street Painting Festival this weekend. I did a piece from Xiola. A few day ago the main character Eleya had been sacrificed to the gods in the high arena, yet survived the ritual. During the ritual, her mother's necklace had been torn from her neck. But a young boy retrieved it from the arena floor and, determined to give it back to her, attempted to visit her in her tower, but was turned away at the door. Looking up he saw Eleya crying as she looked out over the city, so the boy decided to scale the tower and give her back her necklace.

I had a ton of help on the painting. My Sister Elizabeth, who is an amazing artist, created both characters. I wish I could take credit for how great they turned out, but I had nothing to do with it. Elizabeth is not the type of person you need to manage very much. Just the occasional "Great job, Liz."

I worked on the arena and tree and a bit of the sky, Fred Aquino and my brother Jordan Domont worked on the towers and cliffs. My son and mother and step-father helped out with the sky as well.

I had a lot of help and I needed it. But I was happy I was able to pick something from my story. And even that was Elizabeth's idea. Thanks to all those that helped, and now back to making comics.

By the way, check out the original sketch below in my May 28th posting. I altered the image the night before starting on the street, and it's interesting to note the changes. I ended up taking reference photos of my wife and son as the two characters so their posing and dimensions are much more realistic. I also adjusted the look of the tower Eleya is in, and made the characters larger, as they seemd too small in the original sketch. Then another idea from Elizabeth I implemented was to turn the distant rock formation housing the arena ever so slightly so you can just make out some archtecture within. It makes it much more interesting. Then I added more yellow to the sunset and added a ton more colors. I think it came out great.

1 comment:

  1. Looks amazing! I'll have to come up next year to watch and help.

    ReplyDelete