Thursday, January 21, 2010

Page 4 complete


I finally finished the painting for page 4. I especially had fun with the bottom left panel. Here is the first shot we get of the cave beasts. I like the darks around her. I always like getting nice darks with watercolor. I'm often tentative to go real dark, but once I do I'm always happier. I could go darker everywhere, but all those layers slows me down. It's fun to start seeing this story come together.

I was taking a long time painting each panel because I didn't have a color template for the boy, so I had to figure out which colors to use for him each panel. To help with this I made a quick color sketch of him and wrote down the colors I used for each part of him. Now I just paint by numbers, basically. Much faster.
I've not done a final color design for any of my characters yet. I was going to kind of figure them out as I go along. The next main character I'm introducing is Robel. I've got his design down, but not his colors. I now know to do a color sketch first.
Now on to pencilling the next page.

1 comment:

  1. looking great, really liking those dark panels at the bottom.. actually ads to the tension of the situation.

    ive found some European comics here in L.A. and a few of them are first print.. its a good idea those character color references.. ive notice a allot of color changes on some of the stuff im reading... and although charming on its own i sometimes loose track of the characters and who they are simply because theyve changed shirt colors at random moments

    ReplyDelete